Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The results of my MRI are in . . ..

Just got off of the phone with my perinatologist. He said that the MRI looked just as he thought it would. The CCAM is measuring about 2.7 cm x 1.5 cm which is good. He has seen and dealt with much larger CCAMs in his experience. Plus, it hasn't really grown at all since my last ultrasound with him about two weeks ago. Apparently, according to him, the growth of the CCAM typically stops or severely slows down around the 28 week mark. Only 6 weeks to go! He said that there was good lung tissue there in the right lung and that the CCAM was pushing up against it slightly but that was to be expected. The CCAM also appears to be microcystic in nature (Type III). At this point in time, he does not think that I am a candidate for surgery in utero. The risks definitely outweigh the rewards. He said he'd have to consult with the pediatric surgeon again on Friday (to be sure) but I have already met with her and I'm pretty positive based upon her reaction that she will not be an advocate for that surgery. This is excellent news! It is something that I've been worrying about since it was first mentioned.

Other than that, I have a follow up ultrasound appointment scheduled with him on January 4th. He said that he would provide me with my CVR (CCAM volume ratio) at my next appointment. Basically, A CVR less than or equal to 1.6 suggests that the risk of hydrops developing is low. A CVR greater than 1.6 suggests an increased risk of developing hydrops. This number is calculated by taking the length of the CCAM x Height X Width x 0.52/head circumference. Based upon the size of my CCAM, he expects my number to be small. He even said that based upon the size, he expects that there is no reason to think that everything will turn out favorably with this baby. Even though most of this information was already known, it is always nice to have confirmation and it was definitely a relief to hear!

Tomorrow I have my regularly scheduled OB appointment and then we will be ready to enjoy a few weeks off with NO appointments. Hopefully I can enjoy the holidays with my family and take a moment to step away from the concerns that have been plaguing me these last few weeks. When I get back, I will be well rested and ready to take on whatever is thrown our way.

1 comment:

  1. We're so happy to hear the good results of the MRI. I know God is watching over you and baby girl. We're really looking forward to your visit, and the Kowald Christmas. Have a safe trip and we'll see you next week.

    ReplyDelete